Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

8/11/7 - Unsung Heroes


Unsung Heroes
8/11/7

I must admit I do have some “unsung” heroes besides John Denver and Bucky Fuller that I’d like to mention who are still in this dimension.  Many I met at Windstar Symposiums in the 1980’s and 1990’s.  Some of them I’d like to mention that I’ve been especially impressed with are: Tom Crum, author of two must-read books, The Magic of Conflict and Journey to Center.  He was my Aikido instructor, co-founder of the Windstar Foundation and was John Denver’s bodyguard.  I also met Al Gore and first heard his “inconvenient truth” about global warming in the early 1990’s when he wasn’t a “real politician”—one who polarizes.  Also, I met and talked with Jerry Jampolski who wrote the classic book, Love is Letting Go of Fear.  Others I’ve met and talked with are Brother David-Stendl-Rast, John Robbins (the Natural Ice-cream Man), David Brower (Friends of the Earth), Whoppi Goldberg (she’s not exactly my hero but I think she’s hilarious) and Matthew Fox author of The Coming of the Cosmic Christ. 
But the one person I felt the most privileged to have met (besides John Denver) is Kenny Loggins.  He and his new wife (who was pregnant at the time) were presenters at the 1995 Windstar Symposium.  His message was so powerful that I can still remember its essence today.  I’ll paraphrase it below:
 
Our future is today!  What we do today, at this very moment in time, creates our future.  Because there really is no tomorrow—there’s only today!  It’s not just about not polluting our planet and conserving our energy resources.  It’s about enjoying life in this moment—in all our relationships—with the planet, with our children, with ourselves.  It’s about relationships and how we relate to one another.  That’s the important thing here!
 
He then talked about his new Leap of Faith album and some of the inspiration for his songs.  He’d just gone through a painful divorce after meeting his new wife who was previously his massage therapist (now there’s a story I can relate to).  But he was dedicated to living his truth about love.  He then sang the title song “Leap of Faith” which I really could relate to:

He opened the door and walked away
Sometimes the simplest step is all it takes
And from the mountain he could watch it all burn
Welcome friend to the point of no return
Once in a life you can find a time to see
Then you get to take it down, turn around
Temporary sanity
And then the mountain disappears without a trace
And all it took
Was a sudden Leap of Faith

Homeward
Let your spirit rise
Darlin’ I’m waiting for you
Homeward
One step at a time
Homeward
Watchin’ like a child
When will I reach the ocean
I’m filled with mixed emotions
I’ll wait for you

Highway one
And the fog rolled back to sea
He was overcome
By how it happened all so easily
And as he stood there
With the moonlight on her face
He was stunned
By a sudden Leap of Faith
Darlin’ I’m waiting for you
Homeward
One step at a time
Homeward
Watchin’ like a child
When will I reach the ocean
Movin’ in slow motion now
You know it’s the truth
You’ve done all a man can do

Homeward
Let your spirit rise
Homeward
One step at a time
Homeward
Watchin’ like a child

But my favorite song on the Leap of Faith album has to be “Conviction of the Heart.”  I mean the title says it all.  He prefaced the song by saying, “It’s not about global warming or polluting our air and our water.  It’s about our children…and their children…and their children’s children.  They deserve a future.”  Then he brought his cute, little 3-year-old daughter up to the mike to express herself, “One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life.” 
If you have Kenny’s Leap of Faith album, plug it in while you view pictures of your own family (or mine which are in the photo gallery), and think to yourself—what am I doing today, right now, to assure that my children and my children’s children (and perhaps me if I am eternal) have a safe, healthy planet to live on.  In reality, it is my children and your children, and our children’s children who are the unsung heroes who must deal with the mess that we’ve made of our planet.  It is to them this song is sung.

Conviction of the Heart

Where are the dreams that we once had?
This is the time to bring them back
What were the promises
Caught on the tips of our tongues?
Do we forget or forgive?
There’s a whole other life
Waiting to be lived when
One day we’re brave enough
To talk with Conviction of the Heart

And down your streets I’ve walked alone
As if my feet were not my own
Such is the path I chose
Doors I have opened and closed
I’m tired of living this lie
Fooling myself
Believing we’re right when
I’ve never given love
With any Conviction of the heart

CHORUS
One
With the earth
With the sky
One with everything in life
I believe
We’ll survive
If we only try

How long must we all wait to change
This world bound in chains
That we live in?
To know what it is to forgive
And be forgiven

It’s been too many years of taking now
Isn’t it time to stop somehow?
Air that’s too angry to breath
Water our children can’t drink
You’ve heard it hundreds of times
You say you’re aware
Believe and you care, but
Do you care enough?
Where’s your Conviction of the Heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment