Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

8/22/11 - The Holy Vortex


The Holy Vortex
8/22/11





All of my life I’ve been fascinated with rainbows.  Ever since I was a small child and can first remember seeing a rainbow in the sky…I believed rainbows were magic.  And then in my Sunday School Class when I first heard the story of Noah and how God’s first rainbow appeared in the sky promising Noah’s family that He wouldn’t destroy the earth again by water, I’m reassured each time I see a rainbow of God’s promise to humankind.  Some of my favorite rainbow photos were taken over in Kauai this spring; but I also became curious about the other types of rainbows that Brad calls “Sun Dogs” which don’t have a beginning or end to them.  These are what I’ve named “Rainbow Vortexes” and I’d like to think of them as gateways or bridges to the “other side” like in the recent movie “Thor” or like in some of my favorite songs such as: The Rainbow Connection, http://youtu.be/jSFLZ-MzIhM, Somewhere Over the Rainbow http://youtu.be/wJNlDcvtgew, or The Flower that Shattered the Stone http://youtu.be/PQZgXkJVoJU .  (Please feel free to click on these youtube sites for background music as you read the lyrics.)
The Rainbow Connection
Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

All of us under its spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why, can’t I?


The Flower that Shattered the Stone
The Earth is our Mother
Just turning around
With her trees in the forest
And roots underground
Our Father above us
Whose sigh is the wind
Paint us a rainbow
Without any end

As the river runs freely
The mountain does rise
Let me touch with my fingers
And see with my eyes
In the hearts of the children
A pure love still grows
Like a bright star in Heaven
That lights our way home
Like the flower that shattered the stone

Sparrows find freedom
Beholding the sun
In the infinite beauty
We're all joined in one
I reach out before me
And look to the sky
Did I hear someone whisper
Did something pass by

As the river runs freely
The mountain does rise
Let me touch with my fingers
And see with my eyes
In the hearts of the children
A pure love still grows
Like a bright star in Heaven
That lights our way home
Like the flower that shattered the stone

Like a bright star in Heaven
That lights our way home
Like the flower that shattered the stone

Maybe I’m still naïve enough (or perhaps childlike enough) to believe that there’s a place “somewhere over the rainbow” where the pure in heart can gather to celebrate life together.  I was taught growing up that this place was called “Zion” which literally means “pure in heart.”  I’ve looked for this place all of my life and I’ve even written books about it…but I still haven’t found that place…except in my dreams and in my own heart of hearts.  And so I’ve decided that I’m going to create that place for myself on my 15 acres of land and call it Heartsong Living Center.  But I figure I need some help to build this place called “Heaven on Earth” so I’ve decided to get the word out on the Internet.  I’ve been in the process of designing a website called the holyvortexfoundation.net (I’ve got the home page up) as a network for those who still have that same dream deep down inside them that yearns to be manifest.  But, lo and behold, no matter how hard I try to find those “someones” to help me create this place or even my website I come up against a wall.  So this is my request for help to anyone and everyone out there who can help me create this vision of “heaven on earth” who share the same vision I do.  But first let me tell you how this vision developed.
I guess I discovered a long time ago in my first yoga class that we have a rainbow vortex within ourselves called “The Chakra System” that connects us with God.  I learned through my Kundalini Yoga practice that the goal of yoga, which in Sanskrit means “to join,” is to awaken the power of the “Kundalini” or “serpent energy.”  I figured I’d have this mystical “Kundalini Awakening” if I practiced yoga and meditation long enough and hard enough with the intention of experiencing my own mystical connection with the Divine Oneness.  But curiously enough it wasn’t until I met a Native American Shaman named Speaking Wind and I’d asked him concerning his own experience with “The Oneness” that I finally had my Kundalini awakening.  It was the most incredible, mind-altering, life-shifting, earth-shattering experience that cannot be described in words (although I’ve tried to describe it in detail in some of my books).  It can only be experienced!  Since then I’ve been on a spiritual journey to find tools and techniques to help to awaken everyone’s Kundalini.
I’ve traveled the planet to take courses from various gurus who claim to have knowledge of this very ancient and “taboo” process.  But the practice I found most effective was from Harbin Hot Springs, a clothing optional spiritual retreat in California, where I learned Watsu, Waterdance and Tantra from some of the “Masters.”  Now for those of you who don’t know what Tantra is, in Sanskrit it means to “energy weave.”  Once our own Kundalinis are open, we are then free to energy weave on all “chakras” or energy levels with others…and literally with everything around us!  Tantra isn’t just a word or a practice…it’s a way of life…or rather, a way we do life!  We may or may not be awakened to the energies around us, but they are there just the same.  We are simply a vehicle of energy or a “temple of light” as the Gnostic Christians would call it.
Yes, I’ve come to find that the first century Christians who called themselves “Gnostics” knew concerning this same process and called it “gnosis” which literally means “to know” or have a direct experience with God.  That’s why I created my own Church calling it “The Church of the Gathering of What is Real” which includes Shamanic/Tantric/Gnostic principles and practices as I do believe that these are authentic spiritual practices that will connect you with your own Divine “knowing.”  Any other spiritual path or “religion” which puts someone else between you and God is a counterfeit and I would recommend walking away from it NOW!  No one else can put you in touch with your “rainbow connection” with God but YOU!
But now let’s talk about the rainbow connection that we can develop with each other called “tantra.” As a student of Mormonism and living several years in what was termed a “United Order” created by a group of Mormon Fundamentalist (polygamists) in Pinesdale, Montana, I gained some first-hand knowledge of what some Christian’s term “Holy Orders.”  And as I studied the history of the Mormon Church, I discovered that one of Joseph Smith’s visions was to re-establish the Holy Order.
The term “Holy Order” is used by many Christian churches to refer to an ordination of those individuals ordained for a special role or ministry.  Historically, the word "order" (Latin ordo) designated an established civil body or corporation with a hierarchy, and ordinatio meant legal incorporation into an ordo.  The word "holy" referred to the Church.  In context, therefore, a holy order is set apart for ministry in the Church.  Clearly the Holy Order was not a loosely organized or ill defined group.  Individuals became members by personal invitation, and their initiation was by the administration of specific rituals.  The members met on a fairly regular basis, receiving ordinances and instructions in their meetings.  Moreover expulsion from the group was not by an arbitrary process but by the rule of common consent.
Despite Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon’s futile attempts at establishing this sacred “Holy Order” when the Mormon Church was first organized; the Church today (as far as I can tell) has dismantled any efforts and/or teachings concerning it.  Only through my diverse association with the FLDS (Fundamental Latter-Day-Saints) have I become reacquainted with this doctrine which was part of the “Primitive Church.”  When I refer to the “Primitive Church” I’m talking about those First Century Essenes and Gnostics who practiced a loose form of “Holy Order” or what they termed “The Church of All Things Common.”  In the second chapter of Acts which describes the “Day of Pentecost” we read:
38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you, for your children, and for all who are far away, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to him." 40 And he testified with many other arguments and exhorted them, saying, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41 So those who welcomed his message were baptized, and that day about three thousand persons were added. 42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. 44 All who believed were together and had all things in common; 45 they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.
And then again in Acts 4:32-35 we read:
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.   33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. 34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, 35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
These are orthodox “Canonized Scriptures” found in the KJV of the New Testament.  But what I find more interesting is what’s contained in the “Gnostic Scriptures” which were translated from ancient scrolls buried in the ground in large clay vessels recovered at the Dead Sea and Nag Hammadhi  around 1945-47.  These scrolls have been preserved and unadulterated for literally centuries and shed enormous light on some of the hidden, mystical practices of the so-called heretical “Gnostic Church.”  The Gnostics believed in a “spiritual baptism” requiring water submersion in order to activate gnosis.  This was usually done unclothed as revealed in Elaine Pagels’ book Beyond Belief—the Secret Gospel of Thomas. 
Having changed his or her mind (which is the meaning of the Latin word paenitentia) about the past, the candidate could undergo the baptismal “bath” that cleanses away its pollution.  The initiate, often shivering beside a river undressed and went underwater, to emerge wet and naked, “born again”…Now the initiate, no longer called as before, by his or her paternal name, would hear the initiator pronouncing the name of the “Father of all,” of Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit.  Then, clothed in new garments, the reborn Christian would be fed a mixture of milk and honey the food of newborn infants, and be brought in to greet “those we call brothers and sisters” with a kiss.  Now members of the assembled community would invite the newcomer to share bread and wine in the Eucharist (literally, “thanksgiving”), the sacred family meal.
I’ve also found that water therapies such as Watsu and Waterdance are effective ways of activating Kundalini energies which I’ve found to be synonymous with gnosis.   I also embrace literally the doctrine of “naturism” as found in the Gospel of Thomas and perform many of my ordinances in the manner described below:
His disciples said, “When will you appear to us and when shall we see you?”
Jesus said, “When you strip off your clothes without being ashamed, and you take your clothes and put them under your feet like little children and trample them, then (you) will see the son of the living one and you will not be afraid.” (37)
The Gnostics also believed in a sacred sealing of gnosis in “the bride-chamber.”  This could be similar to the principle that Mormons refer to as “Calling and Election Made Sure” which is a very sacred/secret doctrine taught only to temple-worthy members.   No less than thirteen different sayings in the Gospel of Philip refer directly to the bride-chamber.  Here are two I consider some of the most significant:
But the bride-chamber is concealed.  It is the holy of holies…There is a glory that is superior to glory, there is a power which is above power.  Thus the perfect things are revealed to us, and so are the hidden things of the truth; and the holy things of the holy are disclosed, the bride-chamber calls unto us to enter. (125)
Everyone who becomes an offspring of the bride-chamber will receive the light…If anyone does not partake of it while he is in the world, he will not partake of it in the other place.  One who has partaken of that light will not be seen, nor can such a one be detained; and none shall be able to afflict such as one even if he should abide in the world.  And again when he departs from the world he has already received the truth in the aspect of the images.  The world has become the aeon already.  For the aeon is for such a one a Pleroma (fullness), and it is in this manner; it is disclosed to such a one alone, not hidden in the darkness and the night, but hidden in a perfected day and a sacred light. (127)
Holy can mean “consecrated, saintly, sacred, awe-inspiring” and comes from the Greek word “kalos” which also means “good” or “beautiful.”  In holistic health terms it can take on the meanings of “whole, wholesome, healthy and/or balanced.”  For my own tantric practices and purposes I’ve used the term “holy” to describe an awakened, unified body of light as depicted in the image below:

Vortex means “a whirling mass of something, especially water or air that draws everything near it toward its center.”  In Esther and Jerry Hicks’ recent book entitled The Vortex they describe it this way according to the teachings of Abraham:
So here is this Vortex of becoming—a Vortex that contains all of the requests, all of the amended requests, each and every detail of each and every asking that has emanated from you—and the Law of Attraction is responding to that.  Envision this swirling, swirling, swirling Vortex and the power of attraction that is amassed as the Law of Attraction responds to this pure, nonresisted, focused desire.  The Vortex is literally drawing in all things necessary for the completion of every request it contains.  All cooperative components are being summoned and are coming for the completion of these creations, for the answering of these questions, for the solutions to these problems.
The book goes on to explain that not all requests we make of the universe are done consciously or by “deliberate intent, but rather by default…. It is important to understand that you get what you think about, whether you want it or not.  And chronic thoughts about unwanted things invite, or ask for, matching experiences.  The Law of Attraction makes it so.”
So what I’m asking of myself and of individuals who have tapped into this incredible power of the “Law of Attraction” is to make your requests of the universe conscious, deliberate, or what I’ve termed “holy.”  Otherwise, we will get the same results of what we already have on this planet “unconscious creation.”  Envision your own vortex as being fully activated, balanced, and whole, like the rainbow vortex featured below ready to connect with others who are balanced and whole (if you look closely it almost looks like people united in the vortex):
                
As a practicing Gnostic Christian Minister, I encourage others to receive their own personal gnosis through faith, love of God, selective scripture study, prayer and “inner work” offered by holistic health practitioners, modern-day depth psychologists and qualified Gnostic/Tantric Ministers.  This also is how we can obtain our own independent “sovereignty” from the oppressive systems of government and religion which strive to rob us of our own direct connection with God.  I love how Carl Jung describes it in his book, Jung and the Lost Gospels:
Jesus employs the word monachoi, usually translated as “solitary ones” but also meaning “those who have become unified.”  This is the name whereby one might describe the individuated psyche, the soul of the knower, who having become a unity now can stand alone without the burdensome collectivity of society, as well as without the tyranny of the alienated ego.  Those are the men and women who have succeeded in freeing themselves of the dominion of the tyrant angels, and of them the Gnostic Christ says: “Blessed are the solitary and the elect, for they will discover the kingdom!  Many stand outside the door, but it is only the solitary ones who will enter into the bridal chamber.”
And so I invite you, no, I implore you, to join me in my quest to establish what I’ve recently coined as “The Holy Vortex Foundation” and contribute whatever gifts you have to offer.  I’m consciously requesting of the Universe…or of God…or the Holy Spirit…or of whatever term you wish to call this great mystery…to open the way that we can enjoy the fruits of “heaven on earth.”  I leave you with this beautiful quote from the Gnostic Gospel of Truth:
The day from on high has no night, and its light never wanes, for it is perfect.  Proclaim, then, that you are this perfect day and that it is in you that the unfailing light dwells, you who possess the Gnosis of the heart.  Utter the truth to those who seek it, and speak Gnosis to those who in their error have made mistakes.  Make firm the foot of those who have stumbled and stretch out your hands to those who suffer from sickness.  Feed those who are hungering and afford repose to those who are weary, and raise up those who wish to rise, and awaken those who sleep.  For you are the “Gnosis of the heart” that is manifest.
Blessings to one and all—J. Bird (still naked as ever) aka White Buffalo Woman   



No comments:

Post a Comment